Are you frustrated with breakouts that just won't quit, no matter how well you take care of your skin? You're not alone. At Evre., we know firsthand how hormones can wreak havoc on your skin, causing acne that's stubborn and frustrating to deal with. But don't worry - we've got your back! Here's everything you need to know about how hormones can cause acne and some tips for managing acne related hormonal changes.
So What's the Deal with Hormones and Acne?
Hormones are chemical messengers in your body that control a wide variety of functions, from regulating your menstrual cycle to influencing your mood. And as it turns out, they can also play a big role in causing acne. Here's how it works:
- Increased oil production: Hormones like testosterone can stimulate your oil glands to produce more oil, which can clog your pores and lead to breakouts.
- Inflammation: Hormonal fluctuations can trigger inflammation in your skin, which can make existing acne worse and cause new breakouts to form.
- Changes in skin cell turnover: Hormonal changes can also affect the way your skin cells turnover, leading to clogged pores and more frequent breakouts.
Managing Hormonal Acne: Tips and Tricks
Now that you know how hormones can cause acne, what can you do about it? Here are some tips and tricks for managing hormonal acne and keeping your skin clear and healthy:
- Maintain a consistent skincare routine: Consistency is key when it comes to keeping your skin clear. Use a gentle cleanser and moisturizer every day, and don't forget to remove your makeup before bed! We have a great cleanser Do Your Thing AHA & BHA Gel Cleanser which is a multi-tasking cleanser great for controlling oil without drying skin. Our Super Nice Manuka Honey & Vit E Moistuiser is also a great choice as it contains antibacterial properties and is nice and light for acne prone skin.
- Consider using acne-fighting products: Look for products that contain ingredients like salicylic and lactic acid, which can help clear up acne and prevent new breakouts our Do Your Thing AHA & BHA Gel Cleanser is perfect as it contains both. The Face Up To It Clarifying Blemish Oil contains 1.5% salicylic acid and it also contains Manuka oil and Black cumin seed oil which visibly reduces redness caused by acne.
- Eat a healthy diet: As we mentioned in our last blog post, what you eat can play a big role in the health of your skin. Focus on eating a diet rich in whole foods, like fruits, vegetables, and lean protein.
- Manage your stress: Stress can trigger hormonal changes that can lead to acne. Try to manage your stress through activities like exercise, yoga, or meditation.
- Talk to your doctor: If you're struggling with hormonal acne, it may be worth talking to your doctor about your options. They may recommend medication or a topical treatment to help manage your acne.
Hormones can cause some serious havoc on your skin, but with the right tools and tips, you can manage hormonal acne and keep your skin looking clear and healthy. By maintaining a consistent skincare routine, using acne-fighting products, eating a healthy diet, managing your stress, and talking to your doctor if needed, you'll be well on your way to beautiful, glowing skin. And remember - you're beautiful, acne or not!