Mela Mitchell - Makeup Artist
Our next evre.girl is the extremely talented Mela Mitchell. Not only is Mela an amazing makeup artist but she has had to overcome some incredible adversity in her life. We chatted to her and found out how she makes self-care a priority in her day.
How old are you and where do you live?
I am 16 years old and I live in Auckland.
What do you do?
I am a student in year 11, I also have a social media platform based on makeup, skincare and self-care.
What is your great passion in life and why does it bring you joy?
My great passion in life is makeup, all things beauty and self-care. I love these things as I get to release my creativity and express myself. Makeup and self-care also gives me something to focus on and share with people.
What is the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning?
As soon as I wake up in the morning, I sign onto morning light meditation. I feel this helps me to feel calm during the day.
What is your favourite way to wind down and chill out?
My favourite way to wind down after a big day or just when I need some chill time is to do a face mask and work my way through my skincare routine. I also love to draw, watch my favourite shows and listen to music.
What do you think makes a good friend?
I really hope that I'm a good friend. I believe to be a good friend you need these qualities; to be open and honest and to always be willing to listen and support your friends. It is good to be active and do things together that you enjoy and things that will keep you both mentally and physically well and insure you are creating a close bond.
Is there someone famous who inspires you? If so, who and why?
A well-known person in New Zealand that I look up to Jess Quinn. She inspires me as I love the messages that she puts out and how she is raw and natural. She focuses on body positivity and is a great advocate against unrealistic beauty standards. Jess is strong and has a beautiful soul.
Describe your perfect weekend day?
I would start by having a nice sleep in and then I would have my favourite smoothie bowl for breakfast. I would then work through my skincare routine and put on some makeup while listening to some upbeat songs. Hanging out with my friends is a must and maybe doing a bit of shopping too. My perfect weekend day would be chill and relaxed.
Tell us about a time you had adversity in your life, how did you overcome it?
The major adversity that I have faced was last year. I did a ballet jump I used to do multiple times a day but miscalculated. I didn't realise how seriously I had damaged my back until I did a stretch and felt something go. I ended that night in hospital with no real idea of what was happening to me. My body started to have spasms which came from my diaphragm area. The full body spasms were 24/7 for 7 months, even while I was sleeping. I was once a ballet dancer that danced 6 nights a week and then suddenly, I had lost all control of my body. Everything which was so natural before became so hard. No one had ever seen anything like it, so we were stuck for months with no answers and a misdiagnosis.
After months of pain, we finally found a physio who could help. I worked hard with my physio and others to gain control of my body again. Throughout my injury I stayed strong. However, I didn't realise the full effect of my injury on my mental health. I knew my body had been through a lot, but I did not realise how much my mind had been through. I have now almost fully recovered from my physical injury and I am now working through my emotions and the grief I carried from missing out on so many things and from essentially losing control of my body and having to put my life on hold.
I know I have gained so many life lessons from my injury and now I appreciate every little thing so much more.
If you are feeling low, what self-care steps do you take to cheer yourself up?
When I am felling low, I make sure I acknowledge my feelings first. This is something that I am still learning to do, but I think it is so important. Doing my makeup can boost my mood and also it gives me something to focus on.
What are your three top self-care tips to look after your mental and physical health?
My top three tips to look after myself both mentally and physically are the following:
- Surrounding myself with positive people and things that make me happy.
- Taking time to slow down and focus on myself. For me, journaling helps with this and I try not to put too much pressure on myself.
- Having a bath, doing a face mask and lighting a candle.
What is your favourite song to put you in a good mood?
As Christmas is coming, I love Christmas songs. An instant mood booster! Upbeat songs that I can sing along too are also my favourite. My favourite song at the moment is Holiday by Lil Nas X (To listen to it you can download our evre.playlist here).
What is your favourite binge watch TV series?
Gilmore Girls is one of my absolute favourites. I am also obsessed with Full House and have watched it so many times.
How will you be spending this summer?
I will be spending the summer doing makeup looks, soaking up the sunshine and spending time in the pool. I will use summer to relax and work on some projects.
What does your evening skincare regime look like?
I make sure my face is nice and clean. I do this by using a high-quality face wash. I ensure I have no makeup on, this is essential. I then go in with a moisturiser and use my face roller to relax my face muscles. A couple of times a week I will do a face mask. I decide on which type, hydrating or detoxing, depending on how my skin is feeling. I love to spray my face with a face mist as it feels so refreshing and cooling.
What are your three favourite evre. products and why?
- Treat Yo'Self Very Berry Hydrating Jelly Mask - This is one of my top products from evre. as I find it so hydrating and the jelly texture makes for a great break for my skin after I have finished doing my makeup, especially the creative makeup that takes hours. I also love that it only needs to be left on for a short amount of time, so it is super easy to use when you are on the go.
- Wake Me Up Watermelon & Rose Face Mist - I love face mists so much and the smell of this one is divine. When I spray the mist on my face it instantly feels like summer. It is so refreshing!! The mist leaves my skin looking glowing and feeling hydrated and nourished. After scrubbing off my makeup, my skin is often left feeling tired and irritated. After using the mist, I can feel my skin "take a breath". The face mist also helps me wakeup in the morning, ready to take on the day.
- Get Your Glow On Mango Shimmer Body Butter - Quite often I get dry patches on my skin that need a little bit of love and hydration, this is when I use the body butter. I find that with just a small amount my skin is so much happier. It also leaves me smelling good. Personally, I love the formula, it is not too runny, but easy enough to rub in. The body butter is great when your skin needs replenishing.
Where can we find you?
I'm on Instagram @makeup_with_moo_ and on Tik Tok @makeupwithmoo